[Talk-ca] Modifying GeoBase Ways.

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Nov 23 15:22:38 GMT 2009

Hi Steve

I am trying to get an official answers.  As soon I get one, I will let everyone know!

However, This discussion within the community will be helpfull.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org [mailto:talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of Steve Singer
Sent: 19 novembre 2009 22:40
To: James Ewen
Cc: imports at openstreetmap.org; talk-ca
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Modifying GeoBase Ways.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, James Ewen wrote:

> We as the OSM community have chosen to accept the restrictions in
> order to be able to import HUGE amounts of data, but it leaves us with
> a quandary... how much modification of the imported data needs to
> happen BEFORE the attribution can be REMOVED?

When we started importing the geobase data we took the safe approach and attribute each way.  The idea being that with all that attribution no one could argue that we are not complying with the geobase terms.  However I can't recall if anyone has said that this level of attribution is actually required by the geobase license.

Maybe someone with better license reading skills than myself or Sam can figure out what the minimum level of attribution is actually required.

>From a license point of view:

Is putting the attribution in the changeset tags sufficient to comply with the license?

Is putting the attribution on the wiki data sources page sufficient to comply with the license?