[Talk-ca] Useful WMS URL

Austin Henry ahenry-osm at canoe.staticcling.org
Thu Nov 26 15:58:32 GMT 2009

- Austin Henry arranged a host of electrons thusly: -
[snip]

> It's got the Limits, Vegetation, Designated Areas, Hydrography,
> Hypsography and Feature Names layers turned on, and makes a nice base
> map for me.  Their site has lots more information on what all the layers
> are, in case that list was greek (I was to me until I read their site).

To reply to myself, I just thought I'd mention that it's trivially easy
to add/remove layers. Reference the following page, about 3/4 down,
under the heading "Data layers available", there are instructions on
which layers are available, and in what order to specify them.

http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/service/toporama.html

Basically, you'd take the URL I showed in my last email, and add/remove
the names from the page.  When you're putting the names in the URL, use
all lower case letters, and use a _ instead of spaces, and you should be
good to go.

An example might be

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=wms&VERSION=1.1.1&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image/png&LAYERS=limits,built_up_areas,constructions,road_network,railway,populated_places,structures,feature_names

for a map of the places us people have decided to live :)

I think I've been using source=toporama in cases where I've traced
things, but mostly I've been using it to smooth out coastlines, and make
sure that some of the beach trails I've been mapping lately don't veer
off into the ocean :)

peace,
	Austin.

--
Build a man fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.