[Talk-ca] [Imports] The great UUID debate (Was Re: 092G area)

Kevin Farrugia kevinfarrugia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:22:16 BST 2009

I'd have to disagree.  While there are many areas of Canada that will change
little, if at all, from current data, it would be incredibly short sighted
and lazy to not implement UUIDs at the initial import phase.  Considering
the bulk of the work is done with a script, it only makes sense to include
the extra bit of data.  The road may not move, but if more detailed data
comes out for a street (such as better block numbering, # of lanes for a
road, cover type, last paved, etc.), it would be easier to add this data to
existing data based on UUID.  If there is no UUID, but the road exists, then
we just have the script do what it already does - match the imported segment
to the segment on the map based on its current location.

If I recall correctly from earlier mail in this list (from before the
import), we discussed this and the US Tiger import was brought up because
they didn't include UUIDs and therefore couldn't really update it as well or
at all.  My memory could be wrong about this though.

-Kevin (Kevo)