[Talk-ca] SOTM 2010 Bid for Ottawa?

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Oct 21 03:53:23 BST 2009

> Hi,
> Just wondering if anyone on the talk-ca list wants to make a bid for
> the 2010 SOTM?   (although i like the idea of Barcelona, also) :-)

A comment from someone at the FOSS4G conference here in Sydney who
usually can attend *one* FOSS conference per year and desperately wants
to attend SotM : let's please make a joint FOSS4G/SotM event next year
so that the two very closely related communities that attend those
yearly events get a chance to meet or to attend two great conferences at
the same time.

Ideas for organizing a joint event :

* share a post- or pre- conference day for para-conference activities
(e.g. workshops/code sprints for FOSS4G, mapping
parties/[code][data]sprints for SotM); maybe that day would be a
wednesday to accommodate 2-day conferences before and after

* potentially overlap the two conferences (e.g. to accommodate one of
the conference needing 3 days) but overlap should be kept at a minimum
so that people could participate in both and maybe even get a rebate for
registering at the two events

I don't know if this is at all feasible, but I definitely think SotM and
FOSS4G communities need to meet.  FOSS4G 2010 will likely bring in
excess of 500 or 600 people and maybe that number can be increased by
the interest generated by a joint SotM meeting.  And the other way
around of course.  I think the question will be addressed here at one of
the administrative meetings (I think the OSGeo one tonight).

My 2 cents,

Yves Moisan