[Talk-ca] canvec / shp-to-osm

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Sun Oct 25 20:44:52 GMT 2009

Hi Sam,

I've just downloaded some CanVec data, and had a look at sheets 031I07
and -08. I wonder what you mean by uploading all "sub-residential
files". I understand that the data is separated over multiple files,
because of certain limitations. In the residential OSM files I also see
no polygons with a multipolygon relationship of "outer". So,this means
that the outlines of places like Trois-Rivieres and others are missing.
The same issue is going on with wooded areas. The data is converted with
Canvec2OSM version 0.9.4.

I had a closer look at the raster file (from Toporama) of sheet 031I08,
because there is much less data, and I looked at the village of Gentilly
(see [1]). This is in the center of the sheet. The raster file suggests
that a multipolygon relationship should be in place, but the vector file
(BS_1370009_2_Residential_area0.osm) shows only the two inner polygons.
Are the outer polygons stored in a different file, or are they not
converted at all? The shape of the outer polygon doesn't look to be
complex, so I don't think the max_nodes threshold would be exceeded.
Looking at the OSM file: there is only one multipolygon relationship in
it, but it only refers to the two inner polygons, and not to any outer
polygon at all.

One note regarding multipolygons: the inner polygons shouldn't have any
tags at all. See [2].

Anyways, some clarifications about what is going on, and how the data
should be interpreted would be welcome. I'm reluctant to import data
which looks not correct. For the rest, keep up your good work :)

Regards,

Frank

[1] http://osm.org/go/cKHX9ApT-
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multipolygon