[Talk-ca] 031i area

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Wed Oct 28 01:41:00 GMT 2009

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Hi Frank & talk-ca list,
>
> ...Nice to have a little break from wifi (im in Tofino, the surfing
> capital of Canada) i dont surf but it was nice to see :)   ... and
> wifi is wonkey at the Hostel here.. but coffee shops have wifi, so i
> can still get work done...
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.1248&lon=-125.8766&zoom=12&layers=0B00FTF
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.1248&lon=-125.8766&zoom=12&layers=0B00FTF>
>

> Anyway,  I got an answer last night..
>
> ****
> Ok that would work,
> Regarding multi-polygons.  I'll create 2 separate rules.txt files with
> 1 having just 'outer' (having tags), and the other just 'inner'. In
> ALL (I think) cases, the wholes do get filled in with 'something'
> (marsh/swamp/wood/island/land/reef/tidal_area).
>
> I'll check with Daniel on that, but I think that its true for all
> cases with canvec.
>
> Re: canvec roads
>
> I was asking if you think that they should be included and available
> as an extra 'resource'.
>
> So then the odd road that someone else might have missed when running
> through with geobase2osm, can be added in.
>
> Also, it could be available so people can adjust the position of the
> originally traced roads (as needed).
>
> *****
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>

> P.S.... i havent tried it, but will do (in the next few days),   (i
> have some actual mapping to get done here 1st) :-)
Sam,

Regarding the multipolygon issue: I'm looking at Ian's projects site,
and see that he has already fixed the bug regarding the tagging. See
[1]. It should be fixed in version 0.7.0 of shp-to-osm, but
unfortunately there is no build yet. I guess we need to be a bit patient
:) I tried to compile the project myself, with the help of the wiki
instructions, but I haven't quite figured out how Eclipse is working...

Frank

[1] http://redmine.yellowbkpk.com/issues/show/249#change-363