[Talk-ca] Users in Ottawa and Geobase

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 02:01:44 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Sam Vekemans
> <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Provided that you have direct permission from the person who origionally
> > traced those roads to change them over.  Then it's fine to swap those OSM
> > roads, to add in geobase roads.   (But the whole point of our discussions
> is
> > that we need to act as a community, and work with those local mappers who
> > spent all that time, to locally decide if they want to manually adjust
> the
> > roads to be a bit better,  they want to replace it (that decision is to
> be
> > made by the person who originally drew in the road.  (if you cant contact
> > that person, ask on the talk list, we'll try :).   And if you still cant
> > reach that person, ask for help with manually adjusting.
>
> Sam, where is this coming from? Is there somewhere in the OSM
> documentation that says that the person who initially creates the way
> has first right of refusal for any future edits to that data?
>
> I haven't seen that, nor have I asked for permission to edit existing
> data, nor do I expect anyone to contact me to be able to edit data
> that I have entered.
>
> Oops,  Just trying help John understand how openstreetmap works. :)

My objective at the moment is to get something sane that can be used
> by various groups in the city with GPS devices to tag trees, heritage
> buildings etc.  If you are saying that provided I can do a couple of
> GPS traces down some of the city center roads then based on that we
> can adjust the road system wholesale to more nearly agree with the GPS
> as was done in Vancouver etc. then I'm more than happy.
>
> It's been a long time since I took a look at GIS systems
> professionally and I'm not familiar with what is the best approach.  I
> would prefer not to put too much load on others knowing they are all
> volunteers.
>
> I have a background in programming but its been 30 years since I was
> involved in teaching computer science at university level.
>
> On mapping parties realistically this is better done in the spring /
> summer / fall time frame when bicycles can be used, Ottawa gets a bit
> chilly at this time of the year for organising something in the next
> four months.
>
> Cheerio John

And Mapping parties can be done anytime, as a 'mapping party' can just be a
group of people at a coffee shop with wi-fi talking about what we do ...
:)   ... sometimes no actually mapping get done :) ... as most of the time,
mapping is done independently (on route to other things).   ... unless your
crazy like me who does this full time :-)

James