[Talk-ca] GeoBase NRN 093 Complete

Adam Dunn dunnadam at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 07:14:56 GMT 2009

The road import of tile 093 has just been completed. This includes Williams
Lake, Quesnel, Prince George, Smithers, Dawson Creek, and everything in
between. When importing, I tried to fix all topological problems (connecting
imported roads to existing roads), and fixed roughly drawn roads (obviously
landsat sourced) so that they more closely match the geometry of the GeoBase
roads. Road names and classifications were copied over from the excluded set
where necessary, along with all bridge and tunnel locations, and unpaved
surface tags (I didn't bother with any other surfaces). I tried to go
through and mark all obvious oneway roads (dual carriageways), and
unclassified roads from GeoBase that looked like they should be *_link roads
were retagged as being *_link and made oneway.

Naturally, there may be some small things that I missed, but hopefully
people working in 093 will now feel more free to do editing knowing that the
import has been done.

One thing I noticed is that OSM is going to need some highways naming
"love". Highway naming in BC is still a mystery to me (even though I've
lived here many years and been on many roadtrips). I have in the past used
Wikipedia as a source for highway names, but there was some disagreement
between Wikipedia and GeoBase for naming. For example, Wikipedia says that
the Yellowhead Highway goes all the way to the coast from Prince George,
whereas GeoBase gives it no name for much of that section, and merely gives
it the moniker "Hwy 16". There were some points where GeoBase even had
internal conflicts on highway naming (near Dawson Creek, Highway 97 would
rapidly change from "Hwy 97" to "Hart Highway" then back again, several
times). Once all of Canada has been imported, we should get some official
docs and figure out the highway naming. You know; make a get-together of it;
have some fun.

Adam