[Talk-ca] Logged Canadian Road Trip

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:07:07 BST 2009

Hi tim, i responded in-text.

Twitter: @Acrosscanada

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Tim Francois <sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> A few of the highways I listed we doubled up (the Dempster for one - no
> other choice really!), so there will be two traces for these.
>
> I do have a txt file which logs dates/times and a description at that
> position, be it a POI, fuel, turnout etc. It's not complete by any means (it
> was a holiday after all!!), but it's a start and will keep me busy for a
> bit!!
>
> Another observation I made: the further North I travelled, the more the
> towns/cities seemed to be shifted one way or the other on Navit. I'm not
> sure how to call this one. It could be Navit not processing data properly
> towards the poles, but on the other hand the highways were largely on point
> - it's just when you entered the towns/cities that things started to go a
> bit skewy. A notable example is Whitehorse, YT - I was driving through the
> middle of buildings there - we visited twice in two weeks, driving on three
> separate occasions and at different times of the day, but the entire town
> seems to have dropped South-East for some reason!! Other places I noticed
> this in where Tok, AK (should probably be on the Yank mailing list for that)
> and Dawson City, YT. I won't mess around with these places because as soon
> as you change one street, the entire town will have to be updated or the
> whole place will ltook a mess - just though I'd bring it up!!

1st upload your raw GPS tracks, how you name it is upto you.
When tracing over (if using the online editor potlatch), you might want to
show all the other GPS traces around.  and use a best guess.   Assume that
your Navit was wrong (if you wernt using OSM) :-)  and go by what is already
in OSM as to be 'more true'.

There will be more editing done later on, as the Canada Import progresses.
If its me that is importing, i'll be sure to try to contact as many users as
i can before dropping in things.  So no need to be too concerned :)

If some of your turn-offs were for views or if they were actual turn-off
areas, these are also good to note on the map too.   Im sure alot of rest
stop areas arnt mapped, they are good to map too.

Keep your notes if you can :)  I put a * on your message, so when i get to
that area i'll can remember to ask you about it, if you remember :)

Hopefully it will be sooner than later :)

Oh ya, you might want to write in the diary a note about your big long
tracks, as people like to hear.   ... it's an adventure that not to many
take :)

Thanks,
Sam