[Talk-ca] [gvcc-members] Re: OpenStreetMap Vancouver Island Cyclemap Mappers meetup October 4th

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 01:01:14 BST 2009

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your note.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM, bydesignprez <Bydesignprez at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sam:

Could you explain a bit about what this exercise is all about. I like maps
as much as the next person, but I am not sure if the mapping is the island
or what?

Thanks

Michael Fisher
And i'm not sure about that :).

Yes, we are (actually doing the drawing of the map) creating a copyright
free map of the world, and this group is focusing on mapping Vancouver
Island.   Specifically, making the cyclemap better.
So our task is to show the world just how Bike Friendly Victoria (and All of
Vancouver island) actually is.
As you can see from the links.

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&lat=49.27313&lon=-123.12067&layers=B000
Vancouver's map looks a lot better than Victoria.

So with a little team-work, we can do much better, and with with a little
more team-work, we can make it upto Amsterdam's standards.
http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&lat=52.37607&lon=4.90298&layers=B000

Just pan around and zoom out to other countries/cities/areas that are much
better mapped than here.

I will go into detail (for those interested) at the actual meet-up.  I don't
want to waste valuable message inbox space trying to explain it on this
list. (probably too technical for most people) :-).   In the mean-time, you
can forward questions to talk-ca at openstreetmap.org and join that discussion
list, where I (we) can go further into detail.