[Talk-ca] address:block - brain storming

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Sep 8 19:20:57 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sam
Vekemans<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard, & cc:talk-ca,
>
> As i was comparing our 'superior quality map' i can show you an example of
> address:block you can see on the Google maps you can see Empress Avenue and
> the '2500' and also Shawnigan Lake Road / Cobble Hill road '3540' &
> '3440'.   I know from the canvec data (not used roads) it has the
> address:range, this info could be extrapolated and used as the address:block
> tag with  rounding.   Any ideas on how OSM can render that?  (this is
> something that can be manually entered when navigating the roads as it's on
> the streetsigns over here.
>
> Talk-ca list, is it the same in your town?

Dear Sam,

"With rounding" ?!?!?!  Why round the numbers off?  Put the correct
data into the database. Block face addressing appears to be solved.
How to convert / import is the question.

In the middle of this link, "Lessingstraße" shows an excellent example
of how to display first and last addresses for left and right of a
way.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.00636&lon=8.3845&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

"X-hundred block" harks back nicely to old episodes of _Adam-12_ but
seems too-unlikely an abstraction to be usable across Canada.

If you don't like the way the current rendering scheme shows
addresses, that is another discussion entirely.  You can always choose
to render your maps as you please.  But taking good data, breaking it,
then putting it in the database does not sound like a good idea to me.

Best regards,
Richard