[Talk-ca] address:block - brain storming

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Sep 8 19:51:48 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Sam
Vekemans<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:>>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sam
>> Vekemans<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "With rounding" ?!?!?!  Why round the numbers off?  Put the correct
>> data into the database. Block face addressing appears to be solved.
>> How to convert / import is the question.

> Ok, forget the rounding part (2 thoughts in 1 paragreph, sorry)
> Lets assume it's manual regular city mapping.
>
> I dont know that Adam-12 is.  can you explain please?

Adam-12. US TV show about police officers in Los Angeles.  The radio
operator would send them to calls with, "One-Adam-12, One-Adam-12, see
the man at the gas station, twelve-hundred block of Sepulveda
Boulevard."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-12

So when I hear x-hundred block, I have Adam-12 flashbacks. Then I hear
the klaxons from Emergency! (Beee-Boooop-Pranggggg!!!) and see John
Gage and Roy DeSoto, holding an oxygen mask and leaning over my fallen
body.  Not pretty.  You can ignore this paragraph.  It is off-topic
for OSM.

> So is there a reason why the hundreds block is NOT rendered currently in
> OSM, like Google and MapART and many other maps do use this method?

If you have better data, why would you round it and break it?  I have
seen periodic addresses at intersections on commercial maps, and on
street signs here, but recall exact addresses.  Perhaps this looks
like x-hundred block if you look at a map for a place that uses
x-hundred blocks as their base map.  In my experience,
x-hundred-blocks are uncommon.  That may expose a difference between
east coast and west coast perspectives and city planning.

Thoughts from other areas?