[Talk-ca] Sam's Status Update of all goings on OSM related :-)

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 00:07:18 BST 2009

Hi Neskie, Welcome!

Heres the lowdown:

Notes:
1- canvec named features has NODES for the IR's, and also has the
native language named listed in some cases.
Because i knew someone (would deal with it) these are not getting
copied at my end. (a few may have, but in the latest conversion
script, it doesnt)
-IMO use the Native language as default with :fr as secondary for
Quebec and :en secondary for everywhere else. (we will all be happy
that way)

2 - IMO we need to get away from using the term "import script" and
use "data conversion script", this way, your incharge of the "making
the latest .osm files available to copy from" rather than trying to
deal with the data on your own, after 'importing'.
3 - once you converted it, please save it on some file storing
website, and just provide a download link for us.
4 - manually copy over the area of that .osm file to my area,
(Ucluelet,  BC is best) as its the 'playground' for it all.
5 - cc:talk-ca with the link, and a link for the wiki (to make Richard
happy) for the time being.
6 - googleDocs chart, please trust me :-) there IS method to my madness.
7 - PLEASE :-) add the 'attribution=Natural Resources Canada' tag to
all your features.  The Queen on the back of the twoonie will be
happy, :-)  (unrestricted use agreement)
8 - please copy a link from the page on the NRCan site with the
'source description notes'

Cheers eh,
Sam

--