[Talk-ca] GeoBase and Canvec import tools

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:17:15 BST 2009

2009/9/11 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>

> Thats Cool,
> the more types of conversion programs the better. (as long as were all
> on the same page, were all good) :)
>
> Would you be able to share the links to the .osm files your making?

http://ns369499.ovh.net/clcf2006.new.osm.bz2
This file is a result of a merge between different OSM files that were
generated, and we merged the points that were redundant. We are getting
close to start the import.

What area are you working on?

The whole of France.

> What dataset(s) are you working on?

CLC (Corine Land Cover). It is an European Union dataset used to describe
how the lands are being used.

I did this page initially on the wiki. It is not finished as I don't have
the merging steps from Pieren the other benevolent contributor. The technic
I am using creates several OSM files as I am transforming them into SHP
files which is fixed field file format. The goal at some point is to finish
that ogr2ogr plugin for OSM to create a single OSM file directly.
I had written at some point a SQL script to merge points inside the database
using an Osmosis postgis schema.

I would like to point out that it was very much a community driven objects
with everybody bringing their expertise along the ways between defining the
tags that we would use, conversion programs, and import.
I am responsible for the initial SHP to final OSM file. I have created the
SQL scripts, and modified the existing polyshp2osm.py scripts to fit the new
requirements. I need to do a formal release of it one of those days.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Tagging_scheme
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Corine_Data_Import

Please note that I will write a formal email on how we proceeded once I have
consulted with everyone that were involved as it is only fair.

Emilie Laffray