[Talk-ca] Van Island Update

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:28:24 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Austin Henry <
ahenry-osm at canoe.staticcling.org> wrote:

> - Sam Vekemans arranged a host of electrons thusly: -
> > Awesome! Thanks, i'll have a look at it today.
> > Do you have the complete.osm file(s) of the area you imported?
> > I'd like to (almost) wipe what i did in Tofino in favour of GeoBase
> > roads, and its needed for western nanaimo, so jamie (and others) might
> > want to help.
>
> Yeah, the complete file is there, along with all of the files I used to
> get the results (the .shp files, roadmatcher files, polygon file, etc)
> I updated the wiki, and have a link to the files.
>
> Cool, got it.   I'll update the chart with the latest and greatest :)

An aside, do you know how to make the JOSM.jar crunch larger files faster?
I had a little batch file i made, but it got lost on my old computer.
run -Xmx512M c:\josm-latest.jar ??

> > I'm meeting with Michael Barbanov (the guy who imported Coquitlam) as
> > he understands this geobase 'magic also'.
>
> Cool.  Vancouver's going to be... interesting to work on WRT geobase.  I
> can only imagine the effort required to find & integrate the missing
> pieces.  I'm thinking that some software support will be required (I'm
> thinking of something like the connectivity checkers that Cloudmade
> created for the US Interstates).
>
> What is WRT?  I thought i knew all of them ... but not good with
shortforms.
... thats why im pushing to create the .osm files 1st, then run road matcher
AFTER  that way, local people can be dropping in the features 2,000 nodes at
a time.

I think Simon Wood created some kind of a "stealth-super-checker-script", he
might be able to help?