[Talk-ca] "Canada Data Import Status" was edited recently

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Sun Sep 20 04:05:34 BST 2009

Hi Sam,
> Yes, i think there is a limit to the number of rows that
> GoogleSpreadsheet will allow.. so im not sure how to deal with that
> yet. .. it's a work in progress :-)
Split up per province, or per 8x4 degree sheet?
By the way, I noticed you've started correcting the rows I've merged.
I've completed them now. An in case you didn,'t know, here [1] is a
NRCan site where you can find all tile names. Could be useful for the
spreadsheet, but adding them might be a very big task, or you need to
export the data from Google, and import them later ;) Not sure if that
is possible.
> Canvec doesn't deal with roads.  But furtunatly, on the next update
> from GeoBase, the roadsnames will be available.   So your geobase2osm
> script will need to be run again at a later time.
Sorry, I meant statscan. I'm not sure how to add the data. The wiki page
mentions "Download in shapefile format and use OpenJump to add road
names from Statscan", but I don't know how to accomplish that. Regarding
roads traced from Yahoo and other imagery: they're generally more
accurate than the Geobase data, so I'm not sure if that would be a good
idea.
> Regarding standalone, and excluded.   I think that as long as the full
> area of geobase roads.osm file is made available, it doesnt really
> matter what size the thing is.   Take for example Vancouver Island.
> It's only in the busy areas that the file gets big (megs), so you can
> have an OSM file covering all of northern BC in 1 go.   The point is
> that this is available, so then when then next version of GeoBase
> roads becomes available, we have something direct to match it with.
> we can THEN make a DIFF file comparing the old and the new, and will
> have a much smaller .osm file that needs to me merged into OSM.
OK, so uploading the complete out.osm file is enough. I still have the
standalone and excluded files, and tried to keep them in sync with the
changes I made (after the initial upload and corrections), but I can't
guarantee they're still right. I wonder if, once new Geobase data is
available, it wouldn't be better to download the data from OSM. There is
a chance that new additions have already been surveyed and added to OSM.

Frank