[Talk-ca] CanVec Questions

Adam Dunn dunnadam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 04:16:02 BST 2009

I'm working through CanVec for my home area (092H04), and the pipeline
feature from the CanVec import uses the tags k=pipeline:type
v=natural_gas|oil, whereas the preferred OSM tag is to use k=type
v=natural_gas|oil [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpipeline]

Also, I've noticed that some of the CanVec data is out of position/date by
quite a bit. The downtown high-voltage transformer station was about 100
meters out of where it should be, and the CanVec data still shows the old
building for Sardis Secondary School, which was demolished in 1995 and
replaced with a new building in a different location/shape. I feel
comfortable doing the CanVec import for my home town because I know the area
well enough to omit poor data, but I don't know if I should go ahead with
CanVec conversion for other areas. Most of the data is good, it's just the
few outdated points that are questionable. Should I go ahead with other
areas and just blindly import, or is it better to wait for local mappers?

Adam