[Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap.ca

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 27 13:03:44 BST 2010

I bought britishstudent.ca at domainsatcost, it seems to be a good and well
priced place for .ca
The fact that the website is still up suggests it isn't a mean domain
grabber (it would have been replaced with bad ads by now).

Does anybody know what the whois was before it was set to expire? I think
there are websites where you can check whois history(like checking whois
live) but you have to register(free) for the history and I don't like to do
that(maybe I should).

I'm surprised the whois is so short, it might be worth contacting
domainsatcost to ask for more details. I don't know what the requirements
are for providing domain owner contact information. I know some companies
offer to mask your info by putting an email address that forwards to the
owner.

Gregory.

On 27 April 2010 04:37, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm no expert on this.
>
> All i know is that before 2 days ago, it was registered to user:Dshpak
> (he's the OSM mapper who did all the nations coastline)  or made the
> conversion program or something?
> It then time lapsed, and it looks like it got picked up my a domain
> collecting thing.
>
> DomainsAtCost Corp.
> http://www.domainsearch.com/cgi-bin/Domain_Search?action=whois&DomainName=openstreetmap.ca&AdCode=infobox2
>

> Jason Reed hosts the data, but does't have access to editing the website.
> I reached him on facebook (i don't know what his email address is, he's not
> active in OSM right now)
>
> and Nicolas Gignac is interested in editing the page, so it includes french
> (and update it more probably)
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2010-March/002294.html
>
> http://www.domainsatcost.ca/Whois.aspx
>
> So you'll need to contact Jason Reed & call Domainsatcost.ca (it's a 613
> number)   I dont know, would they have access to the history of the domain?
> I'll message him on facebook asking to contact you.
>
> I'm no good at this stuff. Its especially difficult if you register a
> domain with Google... then nothing can be done on the website   (see
> acrosscanadatrails.com)  you dont even get ftp access & it isn't linked to
> other Google services.  .. which is rather annoying.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam
>

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM, <tyler at egunn.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2010-04-27, at 2:29 AM, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hey all, a quick reminder that the website domain has expired, and its
>>> past the renew date. I havent been able to get contact with
>>> user:Dshpak (who is the owner)
>>> So if he let it laps, it maybe available.
>>>
>>> Anyone want to purchaise it? Im sure whoever does will be willing to
>>> allow for multiple admins, so this wont happen again. :-)
>>>
>>> Any takers?
>>> Sam
>>>

>> I just looked at the Whois and it appears to be renewed until next year
>> now.  Hopefully the "right" person renewed it.
>>
>> Tyler

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com