[Talk-ca] Best gps for osm?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:06:56 BST 2010

Yes, it has been asked... but technology keeps on changing.

It really depends on what you plan on doing.
If its hiking / Biking, Garmin GPS's are highly recommended :-)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/GPS_series#GPSMAP_60C.28S.29x_and_76C.28S.29x_series

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin

... but if its driving then its more of a SatNav device, where the feature
is that it gives you turn by turn directions. In a 3d view.

... and if its just walking, then your not so concerned about the ruggedness
of the device.

Both of which the OSM map is getting better & better every day.

And here's the ridiculously long list of devices recommended by OSMers

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews

Interesting, your device isn't yet listed .. yet
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/N%C3%BCvi_series

BTW, when im ready for my next trip, i'll probably also get a data logger,
so i'll have a 2nd set of tracks that might be more detailed.
... and of course the netbook for mapping in the middle of the woods, a
mini- office can be set up & with a cell phone reception it's just like
being in an OpenSource Digital Cartographers office. :-)