[Talk-ca] new brunswick mappers

Connors, Bernie (SNB) Bernie.Connors at snb.ca
Tue Aug 10 20:03:54 BST 2010

Sam,

	I am in the Fredericton area.  My OSM user name is "berniejoconnors" and I previously did some mapping under "berniejconnors".  I have only used potlatch and Mapzen so far.  I have been following some of the conversation about the CanVec data but I have not looked into the import procedure yet for CanVec and JOSM.  There are many wide-open areas on the New Brunswick OSM map that can be filled in with the CanVec data.  If you want to assist with the OSM data in NB I suggest that you pick a blank area on the map on the fringe of the existing data.

	I would really like to see a mapping party in NB but I don't have the time or expertise in OSM to organize one.  I also have a bit of a conflict.  I work for Service New Brunswick - the lead agency for geomatics in NB.  We are currently trying to get a project started to map the NB road network to the NRN data model.  If I invest too much time in OSM it could be perceived as counterproductive to our New Brunswick Road Network (NBRN) project.

	We are providing a free online mapping tool called the GeoNB Map Viewer http://www.snb.ca/geonb/.  Please feel free to use the maps here as a reference.  The road data displayed in the GeoNB Map Viewer comes from several sources and is not one homogeneous dataset.  *Most* of the data displayed in the GeoNB Map Viewer is governed by an unrestricted use data agreement: http://geonb.snb.ca/geonb/Agreement_en.pdf

	I have also added the GeoNB map services to arcgis.com.  At arcgis.com you can combine the GeoNB map services with the OSM data and do some comparisons by using the transparency controls.  Just search for "GeoNB" at arcgis.com and you will find our data.

	I would really like to see some OSM presentations at the upcoming Geomatics Atlantic Conference in Fredericton, Oct 28 and 29.  The call for presentations has been extended:  http://www.geomaticsatlantic.com/call-for-papers

Best regards,
Bernie.
--
Bernie Connors, P.Eng