[Talk-ca] Bus route idle thoughts

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Aug 17 14:42:52 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:31 AM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been a certain amount of traffic about the desirability to
> render bus routes on a map in the transit section of osm but there are
> unfortunately some drawbacks so I'm looking for ideas on how to get
> round them.

> Fourth - Rendering
> http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/shine/archives/2008/05/29/look-ma-no-hands/
> the last map on the page.  The challenge is to get more options on the
> rendering side.  Perhaps a downloadable city .osm file that can be
> rendered locally with Maperitive or something similar?  My local
> transit system has a map for normal routes, one for express routes,
> faster but more expensive, one for the early morning 4-6 am service
> which a lot of bus drivers use to get to work, one for peak hour
> normal fare routes, and one for school trips etc.  Routes that do not
> run seven days a week are rendered differently than ones that do.
> Some routes have cycle racks on the front of the buses so there are
> some possibilities here for adding value with additional information.
>
> So the problem that stands out is getting the raw osm file down to the
> PC probably in a zip format rather than a rendered tile which may not
> contain the information we need.
>
> Thoughts?

Regarding downloads, there are several ways to get the OSM data.  From
smallest area to largest.
- download a bounding box from josm / export tab from osm.org
- download a bounding box from XAPI
- download an extract from an extract publisher
- build a local db from planet.

If you have a specific bounding box or bounding polygon in mind, I may
be able to run an extract for you.

Rendering transit routes is going to be a specialty project or side
project.  I wouldn't expect too see it on the main OSM site, unless it
is global in scope and really slick.  OpenCycleMap does similar
rendering but does not have the complication of frequent changes or
the need to distinguish many routes over one small section of road.

Here is a neat transit line map.
http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?34631&361959
It comes from here, but I don't know who did this work, how often it
is updated and if it covers Germany only.
http://78.46.81.38/public_transport.html