[Talk-ca] How to tag London Drugs?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Dec 2 07:41:07 GMT 2010

I've been working on tagging some stores, then I came across London Drugs.
For those who don't know, London Drugs is a store that sells electronics,
computers, cameras, homeware, health/wellness, beauty, food/candy, and also
has a pharmacy. In area, I'd estimate that it's about 1 part electronics, 1
part computers, 1 part cameras, 5 parts isles with other stuff, and 1 part
pharmacy. They're located in Western Canada.

Looking at the LD website and fliers, the focus is on electronics, cameras,
computers, and housewares. When people think of London Drugs they don't
think of a pharmacy initially.

Currently there are 29 POIs matching name=London Drugs in OSM. Of these
8 match amenity=pharmacy, of which one has shop=convenience;electronics and
one has shop=chemist
6 match shop=department_store
2 match shop=chemist, which is wrong as I believe all London drugs do
dispensing
2 match shop=supermarket, which is questionable as food is a small part of
their business

I believe the most appropriate tagging is shop=department_store but I'd like
the thoughts of others who have mapped them. The reasons why I believe it is
is that
- They market themselves as a department store, with little focus on their
pharmacy operations
- Unlike CVS in the US, when people hear London Drugs they don't necessarily
think of a pharmacy
- Current usage in OSM is inconclusive
- In mall directories they are listed alongside other major stores like
Sears and The Bay which are both clearly department stores.
- A number of stores have branched out into pharmacy operations, including
Safeway, but they're not pharmacies.
- If enough detail is known, the pharmacy could be marked as a separate POI.
This is what the Lougheed Mall has done, listing both London Drugs and
London Drugs Pharmacy on their store list.

--
Paul Norman