[Talk-ca] PEI is the next coolest province (delayed reaction)

Robert Shand bob at shand.org.uk
Thu Feb 11 15:10:21 GMT 2010

On 2010-02-11, at 10:26 AM, Sam Vekemans wrote:

> #2600075   	 September 23, 2009 21:57   	 Kings County Civic Addresses (http://www.gov.pe.ca/civicaddress/download/index.php3)
>
> #2691911   	 September 30, 2009 22:18   	 Prince County Civic Addresses (http://www.gov.pe.ca/civicaddress/download/index.php3)
>
> So it looks like these were the changesets.  My guess is that knowone is using that account since?

I'm guessing that is Michel's account - and I believe him to be out of the country at the moment.

> I had had a quick look at a few areas, and saw that in fact the nodes are on-top of eachother. .. however the address is different.
> ie http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/514707713
> node is housenumber 365
> and http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/514707016
> node is housenumber 300

I believe the source data is incorrect.

> So all that needs to be done is a manual move over to one side.
> As that source may be tied to the actual lot number, whereas there could be multiple houses on that same lot,  (lots get split from a big farm but that database might not have changed). .. so that node is still in the center of the lot.. not the actual house.
>
> However, the point is that this import was done under the 'assumption' that it was OK to import.
>
> ... Perhaps the angle could be to request that the Government of PEI to contribute the data to GeoBase and/or to Naturural Resources Canada - CanVec?
>   This way, its working on a door that is already partially open.  PEI already knows that they are a bit behind other provinces (Nova Scotia has block facing address data available)
> http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrn/status.html
>
> I also like Franks idea of hosting tiles rendered, so an example can be shown.
> (and Daniel just mentioned that the address range data will be available)

Richard is removing the data as I speak. I won't have time to look at things more until the weekend.  However I do like the idea of doing a different set of rendered tiles to highlight what their data can add to OSM.