[Talk-ca] canvec mep feature 1150012 10- Coastal water - (Eau côtière) = Ocean - ( Océan )

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Feb 19 20:11:27 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Bégin, Daniel
<Daniel.Begin at rncan-nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Concerning Intermittent water, how could we make sure to have it  rendered through mapnik and osmarender?

Dear Daniel,

This question appears in IRC and the talk list every once in a while.

The short answer is: Do it ourselves.

The real answer is that we need to do as much of the work required as
possible for the renderer admins, and then request the change.  That
means,

-add some interesting data to OSM,
-provide some graphics / icons for the renderer(s)
-consider / suggest the zoom levels and possibly rendering order for
the new feature
-create a patch
-put all of the above in a trac ticket for osmarender, mapnik and
other renderers.

The long answer is that we can't force the OpenStreetMap admins to do
any special rendering because it is important to us.  That sounds
unfriendly when I say it like that.  The admins get a lot of rendering
requests for both mapnik and osmarender.  Asking for something to be
changed in the renderers is a work request to a small group of
maintainers.  Sometimes they get frustrated.

Best regards,
Richard

Here is an email from "talk" that discusses this topic

From: Patrick Kilian <osm at petschge.de>
Hi,

please not that I speak only for osmarender as other renderers are
maintained by other people.

The following is basically a rant. So don't get mad at me or take
the following personally.

<rant>

You mapped something? great
You checked the wiki for tags to model the reality with? ok
You whine about the tag not beeing rendered? Not so good.

To be very explicit about it: I don't like the wiki or the concept of
"approved tags". If I find a flying rhinoceros I'll map it as
animal=rhinoceros flying=yes and won't give a damn what the wikifiddlers
say.

If enough flying rhinoceros' are mapped I'll add it to osmarender. The
interesting part here is the "enough".

If I have to design an icon, write complex rules and to lots of stuff to
make i render it is going to take quite a few rhinoceros' before I
invest the time to make it render.

If somebody designs an icon for me and all I have to do is add three
lines to the stylesheet for z17, it takes way less rhinos' to make me do
the work.

If somebody sends me a complete patch it will take me about five
odd-toed ungulates to accept that patch. (Assuming the patch doesn't try
to use tomatoes=green for tagging rhinos.)

As you can see the wiki doesn't play a role in this decision. Usage does
but, your 835 rhinos are not yet enough to me invest my rare spare time.
I currently have 106 features with more then 1000 uses which are not
rendered by osmarender, 38 open trac tickets and two other projects
(tagstat and mobilemap) to take care of. Oh, and don't forget my diploma
thesis which is due in February.

So all that is preventing the new rhino to be rendered is lack of spare
time and lack of people helping.

</rant>

Yes amenity=veterinary sounds good. Existing icons sound good too. About
1000 are even better. But don't hold your breath for this to appear on
osmarender. If you really want or need it to render please do as much as
possible of the following:

1.) open a trac ticket with component=osmarender
2.) include one or two link to places where it is used
3.) link to the icon file
4.) determine which zoom levels need to render this
5.) attach the icon as an SVG file 16x16 pixel in size
6.) create a patch adding the rules to all the zoomlevels from step #4