[Talk-ca] Transient roads

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 03:54:31 GMT 2010

Hi,
Consider a snowmobile trail that takes the lake route.
(In northern ontario i see this)
Acess is limited because ... Its winter.
In the summer, it becomes a canoing route with portage trails.

If it requires a permit (isnt public access) then it really isnt part
of the 'road network' and 'private' is best.

That said, its more like a free ferry route as it requires a change.
Ie snowtires or sitting in the car.

So my sence is that ice roads should be tagged as a 'route' and
rendered the same way that a ferry route is.
A ferry route ALSO has limited access since its on a schedual & wont
run when the weather is bad.

I hope that helps, the wiki needs to be fixed for that one.

p.s. There is also a national snowmobile route, does anyone know a
renderer that will show it?