[Talk-ca] Edmonton GIS Open Data

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:21:59 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Cool,
> Please expand & help update the wiki. :)
> I think that you were importing a test data area for TCT bus stops?
> (on the assumption that the licence was OK)
> Would be great if you could expand further. As my intrepretation differs.
> The Land Information Ontario data - has the "unrestricted end user licence"
> it would be great to clear up the inconsistances on the Canada Import
> page, so were all on the same page.
>
> I noticed a higher emphasis on the 'edmonton residences' and less on
> 'general public'.
>
> I'll need to read it over in detail &the other cities TOS & compare.
>
> Thanks for pointing it out.
> Sam

In Washington DC, where we are importing the local government's GIS data,
they were willing to change the terms of use to what we needed to import to
OSM.

In working with OSM, there is potential for us to give back data updates and
"unofficial" datasets for things they don't collect, as well, they are
generally interested in broader dissemination of data and allow reuses in
mobile / web apps.

By educating GIS departments in other cities (interested in open data) about
OpenStreetMap, it's possible that they would be willing to meet our
licensing terms and allow data imports to OSM.

Regards,
Katie

--
Katie Filbert