[Talk-ca] Import mess in southern Québec

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Sat Jan 16 05:50:42 GMT 2010

Hi,

Regarding government contacts: I believe Nicolas has contacts within the
government himself, so he might be in the best position to make some
inquiries. It would be wonderful if we could do something really useful
with it (i.e. importing in OSM).

I've looked at the 1:1M data, and it is in E00 format. With some tools
(Import71 from ESRI and ogr2ogr) I was able to convert it to SHP, and
then I used shp-to-osm.jar to convert it to OSM files. So far I haven't
used any rules files, so I got the bare geometry. Maybe I haven't done
right in this quick test, but the OSM files don't contain areas, but
lines. Actually this is perfect for administrative boundaries. Any
administrative areas should be built up by relationships anyways.

Regarding the accuracy, it was much better than I would expect because
of the scale. If there would be no alternative, this would certainly be
acceptable IMHO.

One thing though: I couldn't find any names of the areas. The generated
DBF files only contain numeric identifiers. During the conversion to SHP
(through ArcInfo coverages) I got an error from ogr2ogr that it wasn't
able to convert integer lists to SHP. I don't know the data, so I also
don't know what data has been dropped. Maybe the identifiers of the area
to the left and right sides of each way...

The Geoboutique site also has lots of other interesting data, like
orthophotos. Too bad they're expensive. $65 per file, and there are
thousands of them. However, we wouldn't "need" that data per se, but if
it would only be available to OSM for tracing purposes (like Yahoo),
that would already be very much appreciated :)

Frank