[Talk-ca] Import mess in southern Québec

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Sat Jan 16 16:24:41 GMT 2010

Hi Yves,

FWIW, I was able to browse the site, in order to see what is available
and at what cost, with Ubuntu / Firefox. Maybe you have some extensions
(like NoScript) blocking something. For one, I had to allow JS to be
executed, but that's all.

Regarding the infrastructure, there are already several instances where
it is provided by the OSM community. The current efforts to map Haiti
are located outside of OSM (on a site from Schuyler Erle), but there are
also several sites serving data for different purposes within OSM. A
good example are the Dutch sites (like tiles.openstreetmap.nl,
mijndev.openstreetmap.nl, etc.), and a site like
http://ooc.openstreetmap.org/ offering tiles of out-of-copyright data
covering England and Wales.

It has already been mentioned several times, but it would be the best if
we would be able to set something up ourselves. This would also be very
beneficial for the Canvec/Geobase and other imports taking place. But
then the question arises: who can provide a server, and who can
administer it? (Unfortunately my experience is limited to administrating
my own PCs, but a more professional web server is beyond my league.)
This goes beyond offering storage space, although that remains valuable.
For on, I would love to put my TopOSM version of Canada there, which I
showed in Sherbrooke last month. On such a site we could show how
certain data will look like when imported, for example the
administrative boundaries Nicolas pointed out.

Frank