[Talk-ca] Administrative boundaries of Québec

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc at pierlux.com
Tue Jan 19 16:43:18 GMT 2010

Hi,

Let's start a thread to create an official organization of the
administrative divisions in regards with the numbering in OSM [1].

Skipping levels higher than 4 (reserved for things greater than Québec).

Here's my first shot based on all the info I could find on the Ministère
des affaires minicipales, des régions de l'Occupation du territoire
(gosh they like the long names!) [3]:

Level 4: Provinces and territories
Level 5: Région administratives / Administrative regions
(Level 5.5: Here would fit L'Agence métropolitaine de transport, not worth mapping)
Level 6: Communautés métropolitaines / Urbans or metropolitan communities
Level 7: Municipalités régionales de compté (MRCs)
(Level 7.5: Here would fit the Conférences régionales des élus of Montérégie (which is divided in 3), other CRÉ match their MRC boundaries, but I believe this information is not worth of mapping.  Maps [4]).
Level 8: Municipalités et villes / Municipalities, Cities
Level 9: Arrondissements / Boroughs
Level 10: Quartier / Quarter

This list does not contain federal electoral districts, provincial
electoral districts, municipal electoral districts, school boards,
"Régions municipales de recensement" and "Agglomérations de
recensement" [5] (what are theses?). Should we include all of them?

Now if you look closely at the wiki table, my suggestion doesn't fit
with the rest of Canada: Québec's MRCs would be one level down compared
to Ontario.  That's because we have 2 levels between the province and
the cities.

A real life example would be for the place I used to live in Québec
City:

Level 4: Québec
Level 5: Capitale-Nationale (ref=03)
Level 6: Communauté urbaine de Québec
Level 7 is N/A (Québec is not part of an MRC, being a big city)
Level 8: Québec
Level 9: La cité (Map of the borough [2])
Level 10: Montcalm

I believe it would make sens for all those names show up on a map as
they are commonly used.

Are there other opinions?

Pierre-Luc

NB: I believe there was a report from the OCDE stating that Montréal was
being over administrated.  I agree :)

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary=administrative
[2]:
http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/apropos/portrait/arrondissements/lacite/plan.aspx