[Talk-ca] Canadian Trails Federation & Ontario Trails - intro & Summery of what Sam is doing.

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:21:06 GMT 2010

Hi Patrick
cc: talk-ca list, Tim Hoskin, Richard Weait

Was great to meet you yesterday.  Thanks so much for making time on such
short notice.  Much appreciated.

Happy to hear that your interested in what OpenStreetMap has to offer.
I know it requires a bit of a learning curve to take it all in.

When you indicated your also interested in Open Software, i mentioned
Richard Weait. (i included him on the cc: line) As he would be a great
person to talk to too see how different organizations can make the most of
the whole OpenSource world and (unlike me) able to explain just what it is
your trying to accomplish.
I went over (quickly) how OpenstreetMap can be used as a slippy map, but
it's Richard who is more qualified at that area than i am.

Regarding trails at the National level,
As i mentioned, we (the OpenStreetMap Community) already has access to the
Natural Resources Canada (canvec dataset)[1].  This dataset does include
trails.   And some trails are even named.   This data will (hopefully) be
all imported to OpenStreetMap during 2010.  We are still in the 'organizing
data' phase,  and can currently get all the trails onto OpenStreetMap, but
want to ensure that the method is a full community effort, while ensuring
that we dont interfere with the work that already has been done.  So it is a
balancing act. (for now, the Ibycus topo can be used, as it contains the
same info) see [2].

Regarding trails on the Provincial level.
(as i mentioned) Land Information Ontario, through the Data Warehouse.
(which Ontario Trails Council current submits data too).   Is also available
to us to import into OpenStreetMap.  because the data from the national
level is still waiting to be imported.  The Ontario data is currently being
put on hold.  Considering that the source data (most likely) came directly
from Land Information Ontario in the 1st place.  It will become an easy
transition when ready to add it. [3]

Open Contact:
 As i understand, the Trans Canada Trail[4], is currently VERY frustrated
with me, because we have different ideas on what is a 'national trail'.  So
what i do is cc:  Tim Hoskin, so at least he is uptodate and inthe loop on
what's going on.  (their GPX tracks are protected under copyright, so they
cannot be used to assist in the development of OpenStreetMap. BUT they can
still be used in sharing on external track sharing websites, such as see [5]
for small list.

Regarding Across Canada Trails
As i mentioned, my goal is to create a separate route Across Canada, 1 for
each type of recreation.   These routes follow the existing infrastructure,
and follow the lead that others already have started.
I have the logos just about complete (should be done in the next couple of
weeks) [6]

Snowmobile: -  Ie.  Klondike Trails Association wanted to make a national
Snowmobile route from Yukon to Newfoundland, catching the top part of BC.
Although it would be called 'Across Canada Trails' (because it isn't
official), it's a temporary measure, which is intended that this route
become used and becomes known overtime.
See website for the background details. [7]
*This route (may or may not) be included in the OpenStreetMap database, it's
still up for discussion)

Hiking:  ie. There was an initiative to make a national hiking trail across
Canada.   So my aim is to make this public under the code name 'Across
Canada Trails - hiking'  which it's own logo.  But it will actually follow
this same route. [8]
 The *Hike Canada En Marche  *site only works in french so here's google
translate of it [9]
*This route (may or may not) be included in the OpenStreetMap database, it's
still up for discussion)

Biking - Trekking: ie.  this route follows the Abandoned trail beds and is
appropriate for a trekking bike that can handle mud, but is mostly gravel
with a 3% grade.   Like the others, it follows existing infrastructure.

Biking - touring: ie.  a route which is designed for standard bicycles (not
racing bikes), where they would be carrying gear.
This particular route is the one that im currently working on for Vancouver
Island.   There also isn't any issues with Trans Canada Trail, as it's a
different route(s).

ATV: ie.  This is the fun one, because the Trans Canada Trails is
'anti-ATV', yet ATVs are a fact of life, and a fun recreation (.  What I
propose is simply creating 1st a national Route that follows
roads/trails/paths that ATVs are permitted.   Afterall, Signs that state 'no
ATVs allowed' without providing adequate alternatives is counter-productive.
Because i am not an ATV user, i cant outline the basics.  However, a
national network showing the cross-province & major city to major city
connections can certainly be listed. (when i actually sit down with someone
who can see a national route, then its easier)

National Recreational Networks:
This is something that OpenStreetMap can excel in.  Once the community
agrees that a temporary name for the routes and having it listed as
'proposed' (so it will render as a dashed line).   So then it becomes
crystal clear for everyone on what the intent is.  "To Make A national
recreational network for each type of recreation".   So we will have 7 (or
more) networks that will all be made available as a KML overlay.  And where
the detailed tracks are all made available.

To recap, the  "Across Canada Trails", is the linear 'routes' that goes
across Canada.   (1 for each type of recreation).   and the National Trail
Network (1 network for each type of recreation) Could ALSO carry the same
name.   The ladder would be more appropriate for OpenStreetMap

I think your all caught up now. :)
And a nice summery for everyone else.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

[1] http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/collection/detail.do?id=28954
[2] http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
[3]
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LIO/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_168198.html
[4] http://www.tctrail.ca/faq.php
[5]  sites like www.bikemap.net; wandermap.net http://www.runmap.net/,
http://www.inlinemap.net/ http://www.mopedmap.net/ gpsies.com (but theres
more like everytrail.com.   bikely.com, but they dont use OpenStreetMap as a
layer )
[6]  see http://www.acrosscanadatrails.com/ rather basic, but it's just
today that im now launching it as public domain.
[7] http://www.ksa.yk.ca/trail.html
[8] http://www.canadatrails.ca/hiking/#nt
[9]
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.nationaltrail.ca/&ei=y4lXS7-XFNLd8Qbkho23Aw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBoQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhike%2Bcanada%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3Dae4