[Talk-ca] Mapping Party - January 26th - 2pm Sidney, BC

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 19:43:04 GMT 2010

Hi All a quick reminder,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On tuesday January 26th at 2pm PST in Sidney BC at the Serious Coffee
> will be a mapping party.
>
> I'll have skype/tinychat/IRC on so people can attend remotely.
>
> The goal of the mapping party is to map out all of the points of
> interest that are currently listed on the 2 tourist maps that are
> available, and physically go to each point to check its existence & to
> map all features in the area.
>
> We will use the easy pie-map method.
> The focus is on the 'downtown' core, all within walking distance.
>
> Will be great to share methods & new technology available :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sam Vekemans
> acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
> 250 588 9041
>
> p.s. i know its a week-day, but thats the only day that works for me.
>
> If you want to go ahead of time, and pre-map everything, feel free
> todo so. Im sure i'll find something un-mapped.
>

> --
> Twitter: @Acrosscanada
> Blog:  http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sam.vekemans
> Skype: samvekemans
> OpenStreetMap IRC: http://irc.openstreetmap.org
> @Acrosscanadatrails

Note: Just a point on the method of inviting.
What I did was this;

1 - On itoworld, i have the area already saved (zoomed to the area that is
(reasonable, ie. people can bus/bike/drive/ferry to and it's not that far).
2 - I then sorted the list of data to the OSM users
3 - I then sorted the list for the number of ways/nodes per user in
decending order (so i see who the top contributor is) .... which is me :)
BTW
4 - I then go down the list and see where there edits are in relation to
Sidney, BC (where i want to have the mapping party) so to find out where
they like to map.
5 - I then check the 'OSM Profile page' (as a new tab)
6 - I then look at their description and edit history (to find out how long
ago they were mapping) So to find out if infact they are (not likely) living
in the area. Then i would not invite them.
7 - I send them a message with the (same subject & body as the above
message)
8 - i note down on the Google Calendar of the username & the weblink so to
remember that i invited them.

-in the area there are about 18 mappers who have  more than 25  (node/way
total).  So i only invite those.  For the rest of the list  (about 58
people) (those who made 1-25 edits) I don't need to invite those, as they
only made a few edits, and i feel as if i was spamming those people).

-This time its only 4 days notice (as i was busy with other stuff).  But i
think 2 weeks notice would have been better.  Unfortunatly i cant schedules
weekends, as i am unavailable (working nights)

-if it was more notice then (maybe) i would invite the other 58 people, so
they have time to respond.

-Does anyone use a better method?