[Talk-ca] Accuracy of CanVec vs Yahoo?

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Jul 6 18:50:53 BST 2010

Bonjour Michael

About accuracy: Canvec should usually be better than 10m (90%) for road network and 30m for other features.  We know that Yahoo imagery often have offsets.  However, you better have plenty of gps tracks to take a decision.

By the way, there is no park boundaries in Canvec product -for the moment.

About contents: Yahoo imagery is usually more up-to-date than Canvec - except for road network and for hydrography in some provinces.

I agree with Richard, the details always matter.  You may sometime have to choose between accuracy and completeness...

Daniel

________________________________

From: talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org [mailto:talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of G. Michael Carter
Sent: 6 juillet 2010 12:12
To: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
Subject: [Talk-ca] Accuracy of CanVec vs Yahoo?

When importing the data do we favour yahoo existing data in OSM (which is obviously traced from satellite imagery)  or CanVec?   I'm assuming CanVec for parks would be based on official park boundaries rather than yahoo, line of site on open spaces.   So parks would be better coming from CanVec.  But what about buildings?

Mikey

--
G. Michael Carter
Contact: H: 1-519-940-8935 | W: 1-905-267-8494 | M: 1-519-215-1869 | F: 1-519-941-0009
Google Talk: xmpp:mikeycarter1974 at gmail.com

  <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.9216&lon=-80.105&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF>   <http://livedvd.carterfamily.ca/>