[Talk-ca] Tracking who's working on which CanVec tile?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:34:02 BST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Adam Dunn <dunnadam at gmail.com> wrote:
> The wiki is incapable of handling the sizes of data we need for this. Google
> is a bit better in this regard.
>
> We can't expect people to update the chart when they are working on an area,
> nor can we expect them to check it before starting an area. The most active
> importers do watch this list, and probably would use the chart, however. We
> may not get the "long tail" of small-time importers using the chart, but the
> few big importers could use it. If you happen across some area that is done
> but the chart wasn't updated, just update the chart on their behalf.

That sounds like a plan,
I'm watching the data Stats
http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html
so it's easy to see who these big players are.
and it's also easy to guess who will be importing the most.
As we know that everyone does make sure to contact local mappers and
(most likely) it is their own work that they are going over top of, so
they know the area well.

For now, i'm trying to not tempt myself to start speratic importing :)
As im working on doing the Garmin Map conversion, which serves as a
'temporary relief map'.
So (hopefully) other mappers & end-users, will be able to use this,
then it will ALSO make it easier for those of use who are doing the
mega-importing,

Also,
This is another thing that we can go over for the Vancouver Mapping
party, (as we'll be on the #osm-ca IRC at the same time.  (for those
who are in other parts of the country).   Perhaps we can brain storm
and debate a little bit about ideas.

Cheers,
Happy Mapping
P.S.   092/082 is now available,  please jump in IRC while mapping, as
were here to help :)  Yupee :)