[Talk-ca] CANVEC Comments

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Thu Jul 29 17:46:36 BST 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:35:27 -0400, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The new Canvec tiles are very good quality wise.  However when a
> building or park is on two tiles it would be nice to combine the two
> parts so it gets one name etc.  Has anyone worked out how to do this
> in JOSM?

The best way to accomplish this:
- Select the data all along the boundaries of the tile.
- Use the JOSM Validator on the selection.
- Fix all the duplicate node errors.
- Select both ways that make up the building/area (ie shift-click on both
parts of the building) and hit SHIFT-J to execute the "Join overlapping
areas"
- Voila!

> What I find frustrating is the CANVEC data for roads appears to be
> almost spot on.  I've come across two minor places where it doesn't
> include a new road or part of an existing dirt track but if we were to
> totally replace the existing road network in Ottawa with the CANVEC
> data the quality of the map would be much higher plus you could then
> run routing software on it and it would save me a fair amount of clean
> up effort.
> Most of the value add in OSM comes from POIs that are not part of the
> road network so that value would remain.

I hear you; Winnipeg's road network was hand-drawn by someone in Potlatch,
and there are a LOT OF places where roads overlap but don't connect, etc.
The Canvec data is definitely higher quality in that regard.  It's this
manual merging headache that made me more to rural MB for a little while.
Lol, it's easy to add in the Canvec data when there is no data there
already. :)

Tyler

Tyler Gunn
tyler at egunn.com