[Talk-ca] 040P16 - Orangeville

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 02:05:50 BST 2010

Hi, I can help with that.

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:48 PM, G. Michael Carter <mikey at carterfamily.ca>wrote:

>  Hey I can see my house in there!   Amazing job!!
>
> Looks great.   Few things I found so far.
>
> Data is out of date in many areas.
>
>    1. Lakes no longer there.   (drained a few years ago and
>    re-landscaped).
>
> Yup, you dont need to use it all :) thats what local area mappers are for.
I would have drawn it in.
landuse=meadow if it was un touched. .. I saw a few of those in western
canada / saskatchewan where i was expecting to see a lake :)

Eventually, we will have acess to better imagery from different sources.  so
hopefully we will be able to make it better.   I know that nearmap
(austrailia) is planning on expanding thier coverage globally.  Maybe they
pick Canada? :).   Vancouver just updated their satelite imagery (for
eventual use), ... .so that's what cool about OSM.

>    1. Also the residential area stops in the north-west end, et all the
>    roads for the residential areas are still there.
>
> The residential area polygons where set along time ago, they dont represent
a town area, in some renders (ibycus topo) it's listed as a place=name of
town.  Although that is incorrect.  It does make the map look nice.    So
once (eventually) you get the town of Organgeville's GIS department becomes
interested in OSM, the actual boundaries might be available.
But like i mentioned earlier, there are still a bunch of datasets from
geogratis & Ontario that i havent looked at, so this information might be
available to us already.

>    1. Alder street rec centre and the westside secondary high school are
>    not there.
>
> The source data was taken from old maps & mixed sources:)

>    1. There's a sports track going through Walmart, Canadian Tire, and
>    Futureshop.
>
> That's a cool sports track, i know you need a big cart for shopping, maybe
it's part of a new walmart service? :-) .... or perhaps just for after-hours
shoppping?

>    1.
>

> Didn't know if you wanted to know about the data issues.
>
> The OSM tags:
>

>    1. None of the school buildings are named?  Is this an oversight or
>    just not in the CanVec data?
>
> Thats correct, however, at least schools are listed :)  This is a common
thing thats mapped in OSM anyway.   Website url for schools can also be
added.

>    1. Cemeteries don't have names either?  Is this an oversight or just
>    not in the CanVec data?
>
> Correct, they dont have names in the CanVec data.

>    1. Orangeville District Secondary School.  is a multi-polygon.  The
>    outer and inner objects don't have any tags.
>
> As long as the multi-polygon has a tag of 'school'  thats what is needed.
I would just make is as a regular polygon, but thats just me :)

>    1. All the lakes have duplicate ways.
>
> Interesting.   Can you show an example?
I think thats because the other features around are all multi-polygons.  I
find them confusing, as they are harder to deal with when you want to change
it. As it has merged nodes all over the place.
Also, the name of the lake is duplicated.  You dont need to have the node
showing the name of the lake (Caledon Lake)  Which is a full multi-polygon.
So the rivers that flow around it, might not be names 'Caldon Lake'.   This
is something that requires manual fixing.   'cause it's not bad if the node
is also there.

>    1. Multi-polygon residential areas don't have any tags same as the
>    school.  I suspect none of the multipolygon's have tags.
>
> Correct, it's the multi-polygon it's self that has the tags.

> That's all I see so far.
>
> But amazing work!

Yes... the address:interpolation deserves a standing ovation :-)