[Talk-ca] Geobase vs. Yahoo...

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Fri Jun 4 14:23:53 BST 2010

I was looking around winnipeg's downtown
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.89162&lon=-97.14226&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF)
and noticed that the street grids don't align all too well to what is in
Geobase.  It looks like the original outline of the street grid was done as
a tracing from Yahoo.  Looking at the yahoo imagery I've noticed it is
quite difficult to see where some of the roads actually are since the
perspective of the imagery is such that the roads are covered.  As a result
I'm noticing some areas where buildings are overlapping the road, or where
the roads aren't straight despite me knowing they're straight.

So I'm curious if I should consider the GeoBase data more correct and
attempt to clean up accordingly?  There's not a lot of good GPS trace data
in the area so perhaps I just need to drive out myself to get some
readings.

Thanks,
Tyler