[Talk-ca] Mapping Private Roads?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:20:35 BST 2010

I don't think there should be any problems.
Unless it is a big super secret what the grounds are like, e.g. Area 51. Do
they also have the air space restricted to stop aerial photography?

It's only roads, that will presumably be marked with access=private, not
like the company documents.

Ultimately it is how comfortably your friend feels. Is he allowed to wander
around(e.g. in his lunch break). Is he happy explaining that the GPS is just
recording his location of the road, and explaining the OSM project. It might
be handy to casually chat to a friend in his department about OSM, so if he
does get in trouble he can say call X who knows me and can say I work here
and what I'm doing.

Greg.

On 4 June 2010 16:40, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine works for a MAJOR Canadian corporation whose land
> holdings are such that they have private (but named) roads / streets.
> We are talking about about land where unless you have an employee ID
> card you are ... VERY unwelcome.
>
> A corporate property near where my friend works has some streets in
> Open Street Map, but not all, and there are I gather some serious
> errors. So, friend is willing to take a GPS around the property and at
> least collect track data, so the road network on the property can be
> fixed. Friend has been on this property before, been stopped by
> security, and on presentation of employee ID, not had any problems
> (any of us who are not employees of said company would not have
> anything like as easy a time).
>
> As a matter of completion I would love to see that bit of private
> property (properly) mapped, on the other hand I don't want my friend
> to get in trouble, or Open Street Map to get in trouble. So, any
> thoughts on the legalities and/or other issues that my friend should
> be aware of, before he carries a GPS with him onto company property?
>

> Colin McGregor

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com