[Talk-ca] Canvec.osm Product almost...

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Jun 21 17:54:22 BST 2010

Bonjour à tous,

It seems that the product triggers some interest over the community! Here are answers to some comments I received last week/weekend.

Problems solved...
- Misspelled highway=unclasified: Corrected for the release;
- Duplicated hydrological features: Corrected for the release;
- Turning_circle: Will be removed for the release (1);
- Bridge layer: Will be set to layer=1 for the release;

Model paradigm...
The following items are related to the Canvec data model. I will have a look but I cant guaranty anything.  However, I will forward  your comments to eventually have the model changed.
- Duplicated ways between footway and footway bridges;
- Duplicate Nodes on bridges crossing over roads;

Miscellaneous...
- Toponyms: Only local mappers can modify it properly;
- Huge forest areas: Should be OK with Quad Tree tiling (2);
- Overlapping features: They will show-up as errors in the Validator.  This was a choice that have been made to ease the upload of a selected subset of features where there were already corresponding data in Osm.

Cheers,

Daniel

(1): Nays have a good majority
(2): Frank Steggink - bonjour Frank - has done a massive upload of forest areas, NE of Quebec city, using small tiles.  I used his experiment results to figure out the number of nodes that should trigger tile splitting. The Quad Tree algorithm usually creates tiles smaller than Frank's experiment.  It should be OK then.