[Talk-ca] Canvec.osm Product almost...

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Jun 22 16:08:17 BST 2010

Cool, I buy it!

- tags using *center: Corrected to *centre for the release;

Thanks,

Daniel
-----Original Message-----
From: talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org [mailto:talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of Richard Weait
Sent: 22 juin 2010 10:29
To: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Canvec.osm Product almost...

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 12:57, Bégin, Daniel <Daniel.Begin at rncan-nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:

[Adam said, OSM uses "centre" rather than "center" for most tags.  ]

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does everyone agree with Adam's position?  It is still time to change
>> that kind of things...
>
> It would truly be more consistent indeed.
> Can't get tagwatch to confirm though.

Map Features confirms this and lists sports_centre, arts_centre, community_centre, garden_centre and social_centre.  I hope that I haven't typo'ed these. ;-) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

OsmDoc also confirms that "_centre" is preferred in the wild.  The OsmDoc data is from last August, and shows 12,000 instances of "sports_centre", but only 16 of "sports_center".
http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/leisure/#values

This applies for leisure and amenity tags, etc. but not for name tags.
 If the sign says, "My Town Community Center" in the US, then

leisure=community_centre
name="My Town Community Center"

is the way to tag it.