[Talk-ca] vreimer unusual edits

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Mar 3 20:04:26 GMT 2010

Hi All,

OSMers have reported unusual editing activity from account vreimer, as
detailed in other threads.  Concerned OSMers have attempted to contact
vreimer through the osm site user email system. So far, in over 7seven
days, there has been no reply from vreimer to these emails.

I reported our concerns to the OSM data working group [1].  Their
mandate is to help individual contributors resolve issues that can
damage the OSM data set, including vandalism, copyright issues, revert
wars, etc.

While some of us are concerned about some of vreimer's edits, neither
we, nor the data working group have enough information to say
definitively that what vreimer is doing is wrong.  I, and I expect
others, do wish to discuss the matter with vreimer now, rather than
after more questions arise.

The data working group has taken a step to help in this matter by
applying one of the technical measures that they have available.  As a
result, vreimer will be unable to make further edits until viewing a
message from the data working group [2].  That "soft block" was put in
place yesterday and vreimer has not made further edits since the soft
block was placed.  The message from DWG requested the vreimer join us
here for discussion of their methods and sources.

It is my hope that vreimer will join us here for discussion, and that
we can resolve and potential issues so that vreimer can continue
contributing to OSM.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_working_group
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/blocks/10