[Talk-ca] Google Streetview

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:39:52 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, my last message just got me wondering about other issues...
>
> We all know that it is not appropriate to copy data from Google, or
> use their aerial photos to trace out ways. What about looking at the
> Streetview photos and reading a street sign? Is that still a
> prohibited action?
>
> I can stand on the street corner and read the sign, which is kosher,
> but I probably can't look at a streetview photo and read the sign...

I would make the assumption that any/all data from Google MAY be
doctored. We have seen deliberate map errors added to commercial maps
as a way to prove copyright infringement. We have to assume that
Google would not be above altering some of their images as a way to
again offer proof should anyone attempt to infringe their copyright.

So, to your original question, I would assume that copying a name off
a Streetview photo would NOT be okay (because it might infringe on
Google's copyright and of greater concern to me, because it might be
wrong).

> James
> VE6SRV

Colin