[Talk-ca] Google Streetview

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Mar 8 20:42:25 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, my last message just got me wondering about other issues...
>
> We all know that it is not appropriate to copy data from Google, or
> use their aerial photos to trace out ways. What about looking at the
> Streetview photos and reading a street sign? Is that still a
> prohibited action?

You might hire a copyright lawyer for a comprehensive answer.  If you
do, I bet you a coffee that the answer starts with "Well, it
depends..."

My understanding is that deriving info from streetview is prohibited
by their terms and conditions.  So until the OSMF is able to get
permission from Google, scanning streetview for data to include in OSM
is prohibited.

> I can stand on the street corner and read the sign, which is kosher,
> but I probably can't look at a streetview photo and read the sign...

Exactly.

Now, can you scan streetview for interesting places to visit and
survey in person?  Absolutely!

Here's a favourite of mine. It's right on OSM, wrong on everything
else. ;-)  Streetview caught it during construction when the road,
Kenneth Avenue was already permanently discontinuous south of Finch
Avenue.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=43.77926&mlon=-79.4118&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.779437,-79.412173&spn=0.00502,0.007328&z=17

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.779646,-79.411958&spn=0,359.992672&z=17&layer=c&cbll=43.779742,-79.412004&panoid=z_h6cTugJa5umMJ1Hmz_Tg&cbp=12,347.77,,0,4.6