[Talk-ca] Google Streetview

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:37:00 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

>> So, to your original question, I would assume that copying a name off
>> a Streetview photo would NOT be okay (because it might infringe on
>> Google's copyright and of greater concern to me, because it might be
>> wrong).
>
> But they seem to think they can infringe on my copyrighted photos of
> street signs ;-)

Ah, but if they have doctored an image, taking a sign that might say
"JOHN ST", and make it look like it says "JON ST" then they have
created something new and original. The image doctoring makes the
image clearly a work of (fantasy) "art". Copying their "art" would
make infringement fairly obvious...

If you were to post doctored images of street signs and then that
material were to show up on Streetview then yes, you would have every
right to go after Google for infringement... :-) .