[Talk-ca] Russia

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Mar 13 04:14:41 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Sam Dyck <samueldyck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know this is the wrong place to ask but, why does Russia's borders go to
> the edge of the map while no other country at extreme latitudes is done the
> same way?

These two boundaries mention a source but provide no link. I presume
these are the boundaries that drew Sam's attention.

These boundaries are more specific about their source and include a link.

The Russian boundary relation includes lines that extend beyond the
northern map boundary

Many other national boundaries appear to be based on a fixed distance
from land. Perhaps the 200nm eez?

The Canadian boundary relation

The Norwegian boundary relation

By comparison, Greenland has no boundary relation currently.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/424312026