[Talk-ca] Missing highway ramps on OSM map, not missing on Ibycus topo map

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 21 19:53:40 GMT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Marc Provencher wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm new here, pardon the newbie vocabulary.
>
> While comparing the OSM maps and Ibycus topo map for Alberta, Canada, I
> noticed that the OSM version is missing several highway ramps.

<snip>

> I'll be setting up a Linux box to contribute in the project in the near
> future, but in the meantime if someone could give me a few hints as to where
> to look to find the problem, that would be great. I suspect it's in an
> import phase somewhere, because I though that OSM and Ibycus were both based
> on the same original data (Geobase?).

The technique used to try and limit duplicate roads during the imports for
Alberta & Ontario sometimes would result in missing small connection type
roads such as ramps being excluded.  When I ran RoadMatcher against the
existing OSM road network and the GeoBase road network often it couldn't
determine if some roads were a match or not.