[Talk-ca] Missing highway ramps on OSM map, not missing on Ibycus topo map

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:30:27 GMT 2010

Hi Marc,

Its great to see another Ibycus topo user!

I'm using the Toporama WMS layer with JOSM.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada#Natural_Resources_Canada_-_Toporama_WMS_Layer

I recommend this, (to everyone on this talk-ca at openstreetmap.org discussion
list) because the source data that Dale (ibycus topo) used is yes, the same
as GeoBase & the same as CanVec & the same as this WMS layer we can use for
tracing.

However, because all of the 4 different sources have came from the same
original source, some data might be older than others.  (Ibycus being the
oldest).

And, as Steve Singer mentioned, some roads were missed (during the
automatch) this ramp 'might' just be one of them'

So in short, if the OSM data (that you download is less detailed than what
the Ibycus has) ... it is important to remember that the origional source
data date of GeoBase is much older.  So the area might have changed.

As Richard sugested, its best to actually have a mapping meet-up a 'mapping
party' so then a group of like-minded people (who are all interested in
making the map better) gets to meet in person.

I know that there are a bunch  of mappers in the Calgary area, who have just
been sitting around, and not sure what to map, since everyone in Canada is
waiting around to see what data will be available.   .... fortunately, the
Ibycus topo (to know what not to map) and the WMS layer to know that can
trace from (and has everything that is in Ibycus topo), these are an
AWESOME asset when the canvec tiles (.osm files) becomes available.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails
Victoria, BC