[Talk-ca] Canvec tile splitter 999x33 a to y 5x5 and/or put on adedicated API?

Daniel Begin jfd553 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:37:33 BST 2010

Hi Sam and all

I'm wondering if the best tiling is a fixed number of tiles (5X5) or if it
should be defined as a maximum size of some type for a tile.

Using JOSM/Canvec files, I worked in high density urban areas where a 4X8
tiling was almost insufficient.  For some rural areas, a 2X2 tiling was just
fine. A 5X5 tiling for Canvec is just an averaging of needed tiling value!

Knowing an optimal size value for default JOSM configuration, we could tile
any type of data using a Quadtree algorithm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree

Let suppose the optimal tile size is 2M (the initial tile is the file)

For each tile:
  Is processed tile size < 2M?
  Yes: then there is no need for sub-tiling - stop processing the tile
  No : Split the processed tile 2X2 then repeat the process

You would end up with 1, 4, 12, 16 ... tiles having a file size < 2M with
some of the tiles covering 1/48, other 1/4 of the processed area!  Using
Canvec data, I would be surprised that tiling needs to go deeper than 8
levels (1/48) for some of the tile.

What would be this optimal size for JOSM? Kilobytes, nodes, feature? I don't
know!  Even the number of members in Relation seems to affect JOSM.

If we can find some hard facts to define it, this could be implemented as
the tiling algorithm.

Cheers,

Daniel

 (-Xmx256M)