[Talk-ca] Data imported from Geobase_Import_2009 and tags

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Mar 29 17:12:08 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Makes a lot of sense but currently it seems very difficult to search for an
> address.  Are there any pragmatic approaches that would make it easier /
> possible to search for an address in Openstreet map?

Does nominatim not work for you?  I mean other than the postal code
issue you raised recently.  Search on openstreetmap.org got A LOT
better when nominatim launched.

> If we could import the postcodes and overlay them as boundaries that would
> be wonderful.

I'm not sure that an unencumbered source for postal code data exists.
Unless that changes, postal codes in Canada may just be _hard_.
Perhaps this is a good project for a mashup with a CanadaPost site?

> Any suggestions for guidelines on what to enter for an address?  Possibly in
> the wiki?  Adding in multiple addr:city and addr:state lines adds to data
> entry and also adds to potential mistakes.

I'm still using this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_schema#Single_house_next_to_the_way

I'm not aware of changes here, other than not requiring addr:city,
addr:state, etc.