[Talk-ca] Vancouver campus data

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:24:44 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 29 March 2010 10:37, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, who holds copyright on the data? They need to sign off on
>> importing it into OSM if it isn't licensed under fairly liberal terms.
>> If you don't know then it is likely all rights reserved. Plant Ops may
>> not have the ability to do this. Likely you are going to need to clear
>> it through Legal, which can add time and headaches.
>
> I am aware of this, I know some places may say "sure, do what you like" but
> I will make sure they first tell me "yes our own staff created the data from
> scratch with no tracing of anything". I have a good feeling they drew it all
> out themselves over the years, PlantOps here is a pretty big and I often
> think this campus is a small city itself.
>
> I'll document the details (such as what tags I give what data items) and
> blog the process (including communication outcome).

If PlantOps created it all by themselves then the copyright is likely
UBC's, as most employment contracts require copyright assignment
during work hours. Which still leaves you in the position of needing
to talk to UBC Legal. In my experience, the bigger the agency, the
harder and longer you have to work to get them to understand open
source/free content.

Corey