[Talk-ca] Canvec.osm samples

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:11:21 BST 2010

Hi all,

For those not familiar with the tile system. use this site & just zoom in to
where you like
http://geogratis.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=28954
(a Google Earth KMZ is also available, handy with the OSM kml overlay)
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/index/nts_snrc.kmz

Type the NTS tile # into Frank Steggink's great website to get the OSM bbox
coordinates
http://www.steggink.org/geo/
Then adjust the bbox hyperlink manually to round to the nearest .1 degree.
& check to see if its correct & not backwords or on the other side of the
planet.. :)

I'm keeping a tally & updating the import chart which includes the main
local area mappers for each NTS region. I will make sure to invite everyone
so that they can edit the chart.  If you only plan on putting super awesome
detail in 1 tile area, then there is no need to be concerned about this
chart.  Everyone else who works around the region will know to contact you.
(and even directly in OSM it's easy to see the source of who mapped what)
:-)
This chart is intended for a general overview. (so then those folks who are
the most ambitious wont be tripping over others).  ... this is why a .1x.1
size is wonderful (for all data).  But of course, we'll see what the
feedback is like.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dERFUlBodFFmbmJiR3BBMHR4MzJDM1E&hl=en

And for background reference the JOSM WMS Layer Toporama link
http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?LAYERS=limits,vegetation,builtup_areas,designated_areas,hydrography,hypsography,water_saturated_soils,landforms,constructions,water_features,road_network,railway,populated_places,structures,power_network,feature_names&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image/png&

Thanks Daniel, this is great that your providing this!

*****
And over the the east coast i request,  001N10 which is just east of St.
Johns, Newfoundland and includes Cape Spear. (the most easterly part of
Canada)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=-53&minlat=47.5&maxlon=-52.5&maxlat=47.75&box=yes
which is zoomed to .1x.1
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=-52.7&minlat=47.6&maxlon=-52.6&maxlat=47.5&box=yes
47.6 to 47.5
-52.7 to -52.6

Cheers,
Sam

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com>wrote:

> My personal favorite, Waterton Park (82H04)in Alberta, specifically the
> townsite:
>
> 49.0 to 49.1
> -113.9 to -114.0
>
> Best Regards,